The Protective Life Foundation follows these stringent guidelines in planning all its charitable giving and community reinvestment initiatives.
- Requests (excluding events) can only be submitted once in a 12-month period, even if declined.
- Once a multi-year gift is completed, the grantee may not submit another proposal (excluding events) for consideration for at least two years.
An organization must meet the following criteria in order to submit a proposal for Protective's consideration:
- Must be an IRS tax-exempt organization, a (501)(c)(3) with a professionally-printed letterhead that depicts a physical address, mailing address (if different from the physical address), phone number, fax number and an e-mail address.
- Must be within the Foundation's targeted funding area, which is primarily the metro Birmingham area.
- Must be within one of the Foundation's "Fields of Interest."
- Arts & Culture
- Civic & Community
- Health & Health Initiatives
- Human Services
- United Way
- Youth & Youth-at-Risk
- Must serve a viable purpose and have strong financials.
- Must have strong leadership with a committed, active board of directors and/or advisory board.
- Must be in concert with Protective Life Corporation's culture, mission and values.
Generally, proposals from the following organizations will not be reviewed:
- Those from organizations not within Protective's targeted funding area, which is primarily the metro Birmingham area;
- Public or private schools with grades K-12;
- Churches, public facilities, state organizations or state-supported organizations;
- Animal-related causes;
- Sporting events, walks or runs;
- Other corporate or private foundations; and
- Those from organizations in search of funding for start-up programming, for new staff positions, for feasibility studies or for consultants.