Frequently asked questions
Understanding the plan and product
Term life insurance is the most common life insurance product type purchased in the industry.* Term life insurance provides pure death benefit coverage for a specific period of time. For more information about the new term product, you can view our product guide.
- The 10-year period allows for ages 18-75.
- The 20-year period allows for ages 18-65 (18-62 for tobacco users).
The application process
- Submit an application online or by phone.
- Complete the TeleLife® phone interview (20-30 minutes).
- Complete a paramedic exam at the expense of Protective Life.
During the phone interview, you will be asked some routine questions (name, address, employer, income, etc.) along with several questions about your medical history. To complete the phone interview as quickly as possible, please have the following information available:
- Personal information
- Social Security and driver’s license numbers
- Other existing or pending life insurance policies, including company names, coverage amounts, and policy numbers, if available
- Type of visa, visa number, and expiration date if you are not a U.S. citizen
- Payment information for initial or recurring premium payment(s) (checking, savings, or credit card account information), if applicable
- Medical information
- Name, address, and phone number of your doctor(s) and hospital(s)
- Current treatment you receive by any doctor or hospital; including your medications, dosages, and reasons
- Reasons for past treatment, with date(s)
- Additional tests you have been advised to take and elective exam(s) or procedure(s) that have been scheduled
After the information has been collected, our representative will make an appointment for an examiner to visit you and collect other medical information, including samples for lab tests.
Protective TeleLife Processing Center Contact Information:
Phone Number: 888-800-6608 Opens phone handler
Fax Number: 888-615-9619
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org Opens an Email handler
Hours of Operation: M-F 7 a.m.-8 p.m. CDT, Sat. 9 a.m.-2 p.m. CDT
During the appointment, you will review and sign the application packet provided. This signed application packet will consist of the interview that was completed over the phone and all required state forms. This signed packet will be required for the underwriting process so please make sure to sign and hand back to the examiner at the time of your exam.
Costco Insurance Agency, Inc. (CIA), a licensed insurance agent, may receive compensation from PLICO and/or its affiliates. CIA and its affiliates do not guarantee the services of any insurance company. PLICO and its affiliates are separate, independent of and distinct from CIA. CIA is not responsible for the financial condition or obligations of PLICO. The California license number for Protective is 07726. The California license number for Costco Insurance Agency is 0D08407.
Actual savings may vary by customer and coverage.
1 Percentage is based on first-year premium comparisons between Protective’s Classic Choice term product and the Member Advantage Life term product. The guaranteed premium will increase in policy year 6 and then remain level for the remaining level period (5 or 15 more years) and after the full level period (10 or 20 years) the premiums will increase annually immediately following the full level period. Rates are as of August 12, 2019 and subject to change without notice.
2 Coverage amounts and express application processing may be available to applicants from ages 18 – 45 for up to $1,000,000 and 46 – 60 for up to $500,000 of coverage that meet certain risk and eligibility requirements of Protective Life. Full medical underwriting may be required for applicants that do not meet Protective’s eligibility criteria.
3 After the initial level premium period ends, customers can choose to continue receiving term coverage with increasing premium rates.