About the Protective Life Foundation
Serving people is not just one of Protective’s values; it is deeply embedded in our corporate DNA. We are committed to improving the quality of life of our local communities and collaborating with others in order to create the greatest possible impact.
The Protective Life Foundation represents Protective’s unwavering investment in supporting many outstanding organizations that address a wide spectrum of issues — from dealing with difficult human issues, to enhancing and creating green spaces, to enriching cultural and artistic venues — that improve the overall quality of life of our citizens, neighborhoods and environment. Each year, through financial contributions and volunteer hours, the Foundation reaches and actively serves hundreds of nonprofits, ultimately touching thousands of people in need of help, support and encouragement.
At Protective, we believe that it is our responsibility to share our good fortune whenever possible. It is an honor and privilege to be able to convey our gratitude through support of so many incredible organizations and community-wide initiatives.
To contribute to the welfare and quality of life of the local community.
To be a corporate leader and a pacesetter in giving.
To work in partnership with other organizations, corporations and individuals to find solutions for some of the difficult human and economic situations in our communities.
New contribution guidelines and application criteria
An organization should meet the following criteria in order to submit an application to the Protective Life Foundation:
- Be an IRS-certified, 501(c)(3), tax-exempt nonprofit organization
- Be within the Foundation's targeted funding area, which is primarily the metro Birmingham area
- Have strong financials and a current operating budget
- Have strong leadership with an organized local board of directors or advisory board
- Be in concert with Protective Life Corporation's culture, mission and values
Generally, applications from the following organizations will not be considered:
- Organizations not within the Foundation's targeted funding area
- Public or private schools with grades K-12, including athletic, music, band or any other fundraising activities or initiatives
- Houses of worship (churches, synagogues, mosques, etc.), public facilities primarily funded by tax revenues (public libraries, etc.), state organizations or state-supported organizations
- Animal-related causes
- Sporting events, to include walks, runs, golf tournaments, etc.
- Other corporate or private foundations
- Nonprofits that conduct grant making to other organizations/groups/individuals
Please note that the Protective Life Foundation will sponsor only one fundraising event (dinner/luncheon/activity), if approved, per nonprofit per calendar year.
1. Contact information
- Name, email* and additional contacts' information
2. General information and overview of application
- Project name, mission statement
- Executive Director's experience/brief bio
- Governance/Board/Advisory Committee
- DEI story
- Other funders and/or sources of income
- Prior year operating results
- Current year budget
- Balance sheet and endowments
- IRS 501(c)(3) designation letter
- Current IRS form W-9
4. Application information
- Population served
- Amount of request
- Intended use of funds
*The Protective Life Foundation notifies all applicants of the review committee's decision by email.
2024 submissions are due by Jan. 21, April 21, July 21 and Oct. 21 for consideration in quarterly grant-making.
Depending on the nature and amount of the request, some proposals will be reviewed by the Foundation's Executive Review Committee monthly, and others will be considered on a quarterly basis.**
**Subject to change based on the Executive Review Committee's schedule.
- Go to Protective Foundation Grant Application and login or setup your account and password.
- Review the information about your organization and make updates.
- Review the contact information and make sure we have the current information for your executive director as well as the person submitting this grant request.
- Note - Please enter the mailing address on the organization record and use the physical address on the individual contact records.
- Fill out the questions on the application as thoroughly as possible.
- You can save the application and return to complete it later, but — BE AWARE — our review process will not begin until you have submitted the application. At that time, no more changes can be made to the form.
- If you have questions, submit them to email@example.com and we will reach out to you within 3 business days.
- If you need to talk with us before completing your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once your application is complete
- We will review it and let you know if there are follow-up items.
- When any follow-up items are resolved, the request will be added to the next grant review cycle.