Helping you through the claims process
How we deliver when you need us most
Delivering on our commitments, always
When you choose Protective, we make a promise to be there for you when you need us. We often say this is our highest calling. Delivering on our commitments, in 2021 we paid more than $4.8 billion in life insurance claims to 95,574 beneficiaries and $733 million in annuity payments to 15,779 beneficiaries.
One family’s story
When Mrs. Robinson lost her husband, she felt overwhelmed in days that followed. She was relieved by the ease of filing a claim for Mr. Robinson's policy.
It only took a few minutes to inform Protective and start the claim online. Once she received her claim packet and provided the necessary information and documents, the rest was simple. She was able to track the claim online, speak directly to claims representatives and request financial counseling when she received the policy proceeds. The process was one less thing to worry about during a difficult time.
Helping you protect what matters
When life is full of uncertainties, there's assurance in knowing you have a protector that stays by your side.
We've made it our mission to help people secure protection that brings them a feeling of security and peace of mind — and to care for their loved ones when the time comes to deliver on our promises. You can count on us to help protect what’s most important through every transition in life.
Our most important promise
Delivering on our commitments is our highest calling. See the promises we've kept to the people we serve.
Making a difficult time easier
A simple claims process can make a difficult time easier. Read about a family's experience following the loss of a loved one.
By your side through life
Everyone deserves to feel truly protected. Here's how we can help you and your loved ones secure what's most important.
Once your claim packet arrives, simply provide the required information. This generally includes a certified copy of the death certificate and some beneficiary identification documents. You can check your claim status online after it's filed.
As soon as we've received all necessary documentation and your claim is approved, we will send out your benefit payment within one business day.
After you receive your benefit payment, we recommend contacting your financial planner or Protective for resources to assist you with important financial decisions.*
If your benefit amount is $25,000 or higher you may be eligible to receive an Immediate Benefit Account (IBA). An IBA offers the convenience of an interest-bearing draft account – similar to a checking account – for your funds instead of a one-time, lump-sum check. With an IBA you can:
- Receive a personal checkbook and write checks to third parties, including individuals, stores, creditors, banks, brokerage firms and other financial institutions.
- Write a check to withdraw your entire balance and close your account at any time.
If your claim is eligible for an IBA, you'll be given this option in your claim packet.
Helpful resources after the loss of a loved one
Claims frequently asked questions
Visit our claims FAQ page to see a complete list of frequently asked questions and answers.
- Notify us of the death of the insured/annuitant by starting a claim online or by contacting us directly at 1-800-424-1592.
- We will then verify the beneficiaries.
- We'll reach out to beneficiaries and ask them to complete a claim packet and provide any necessary documents, such as a certified copy of the death certificate and some beneficiary identification documents.
- Once all documents and forms are returned, we'll review the claim.
- After review, we'll either process the claim or contact the beneficiary for any additional information needed.
Online is the quickest and easiest way to file a claim. If you have a death certificate to upload, this will expedite the process.
The answer is no — it's the same claims process whether the policy is with Athene, Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company, MONY Life Insurance Company, Protective Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Protective Life Insurance Company, The Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, West Coast Life, or Zurich.
You'll visit claims.protective.com, follow the same steps and provide required documents:
- Complete the enclosed claim form in its entirety by each beneficiary.
- A certified copy of the death certificate.
- Return the original policy or contract if available. If these documents are not easily accessible, in SECTION D of the claim form select "The original policy(ies), or a copy, cannot be found."
- Complete, sign, and return the enclosed IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).
Ready to start a claim?