Grief resources and information
Ready to start a claim?
Claims frequently asked questions
Visit our claims FAQ page to see a complete list of frequently asked questions and answers.
- Notify us of the death of the insured/annuitant by starting a claim online or by contacting us directly at 1-800-424-1592.
- We will then verify the beneficiaries.
- We'll reach out to beneficiaries and ask them to complete a claim packet and provide any necessary documents, such as a certified copy of the death certificate and some beneficiary identification documents.
- Once all documents and forms are returned, we'll review the claim.
- After review, we'll either process the claim or contact the beneficiary for any additional information needed.
Online is the quickest and easiest way to file a claim. If you have a death certificate to upload, this will expedite the process.
The answer is no — it's the same claims process whether the policy is with Athene, Equitable Financial Life Insurance Company, MONY Life Insurance Company, Protective Life and Annuity Insurance Company, Protective Life Insurance Company, The Lincoln National Life Insurance Company, West Coast Life, or Zurich.
You'll visit claims.protective.com, follow the same steps and provide required documents:
- Complete the enclosed claim form in its entirety by each beneficiary.
- A certified copy of the death certificate.
- Return the original policy or contract if available. If these documents are not easily accessible, in SECTION D of the claim form select "The original policy(ies), or a copy, cannot be found."
- Complete, sign, and return the enclosed IRS Form W-9 (Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).