Affordable life insurance for diabeticsAccording to a report conducted by the American Diabetes Association, 1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with diabetes every year.1 Diabetes can be a serious disease. While having it can affect your ability to qualify for life insurance, a diagnosis doesn't necessarily make it impossible to get affordable coverage. In this article, we'll look at information about life insurance for diabetics, such as key factors that can determine your overall insurability and premium costs.
Key factors in getting affordable life insurance coverage with diabetes
Not everyone that has diabetes will be denied coverage or pay high life insurance premiums. Just like any other health issue, obtaining life insurance if you are a diabetic involves different factors that insurers look at when considering you for coverage, depending on how serious your condition is and how well you're managing it.
Some examples of factors that are considered when applying for life insurance as a diabetic:
- Are you insulin dependent? — Many people are able to control their blood glucose levels through a combination of careful meal planning and exercise. Diabetics who are not insulin-dependent may pay less in premiums compared to those who are.
- Is your blood sugar well controlled? — You may have an easier time getting coverage if you can prove that your blood sugar is under control. As part of your life insurance medical exam, lab testing will be performed on your blood sample that typically includes glucose measurement. These results along with your medical records will be considered to determine the control level of your diabetes.
- How long have you been diagnosed? — Believe it or not, someone who has had diabetes for several years may be considered less of a risk factor compared to someone who has been newly diagnosed. If you have lived with diabetes for years, it can demonstrate that you have learned to manage and control your disease.
- Are you a smoker? — Being a smoker isn't good for your health and generally means you'll pay a lot more for life insurance. However, the price you'll pay for coverage will likely be even greater if you're a smoker and a diabetic, simply because you are at a greater risk for a multitude of serious health issues.
- What type of life insurance do you want? — There are many different types of life insurance products because everyone has different needs. If you're a diabetic, having a few different choices is a good thing! For example, simplified or guaranteed issue policies are often used to cover people with pre-existing conditions and certain illnesses. These types of policies may be two options for getting the coverage that you need if you are diabetic.
Simply stated, having diabetes should not keep you from getting life insurance. If you have life insurance questions and need answers, our experienced representatives are here to help. Simply call 1-844-733-5433 or, go online for an instant life insurance quote.