Skip to Content
Grandparents with grandchildren symbolizing how planning your wills and estate can benefit the next generation.
Wills and estate planning

How to notify the Social Security Administration of a death

Upon the death of a loved one, there's always a lot on your mind. Unfortunately, part of that process involves technicalities that go beyond grieving and focus on paperwork.

While this time is often stressful and upsetting, there are tasks that you must complete in a timely manner. One of those is notifying the Social Security Administration (SSA) of the passing of your loved one.

Who to Notify After a Death

When your loved one passes away, it's crucial you notify some key parties within the first few days. This list may include employers, health care providers, lawyers and financial institutions — anywhere that your loved one might have had insurance policies and accounts — as well as the SSA.

Typically, your funeral home can help. Many funeral directors will offer to fill out the proper forms and notify SSA of the death as part of their services; all you need to do is provide your loved one's Social Security number.

However, ultimately, it is up to you to ensure this happens. Note that you can't report a death online, but you can contact your local SSA Office or call 1-800-772-1213 to speak with a representative from the office who can help.

If the death isn't reported, any payments collected from the SSA for the month your loved one passed or later must be paid back to the government. Otherwise, keeping these payments is considered fraudulent.

Social Security death benefits

If your loved one was collecting benefits from the SSA, you as a surviving spouse or child, may be eligible for a Social Security death benefit.

The benefit is a smaller percentage of the monthly benefit your loved one was collecting. It's calculated depending on how many years your loved one worked, his or her average income, and his or her age at death, among other factors.

Social Security death benefits may be collected by the surviving unmarried widow or widower, older disabled children, minor children or dependent parents. In some instances, surviving divorced spouses, step-children, step-grandchildren and grandchildren may be eligible.

The SSA offers two types of benefits to eligible survivors, a one-time lump sum payment and an ongoing monthly payment called a survivor benefit.

Here's more on each of these options:

  • Social Security death benefits for children — An unmarried child who is under 18, or 18 if he or she is still in secondary school as a full-time student, or over 18 if he or she became disabled before the age of 22, can qualify for a death benefit.

  • Social Security spousal death benefits — A current spouse, married for at least nine months, and is at least age 60, as well as former spouses married at least 10 years, age 62 or over and not remarried can qualify for a death benefit. It's possible that former spouses who did remarry but then divorced again can qualify, as well.

  • Lump sum benefit — The spouse who was living in the same home at the time of death qualifies for a one-time lump sum death benefit of $255. If there is no spouse, then that payment can go to a surviving dependent minor child, usually under the age of 18.

Starting the life insurance claims process with Protective

After the passing of your loved one, Protective customers can begin the death claims process with Protective. We're here to help you every step of the way.

Simply click this link to begin the process. Once Protective is notified of the death of your loved one, the claims process begins. From there, Protective will contact you and help guide you through the next steps of the process.

The passing of a loved one is never easy, but the more you can learn about the reporting process now the better off you'll be when the time comes.

To learn more about the claims process or get guidance on common questions, you can read these Frequently Asked Questions.


Arrows linking indicating relationship

Related Articles

Senior husband and wife smile while walking down a street abroad

Donating to charity in your last will and testament

Learn more
Young African American female comforts grieving woman at support group.

How to cope with death

Learn more
Worried senior woman sitting on couch.

Social Security widows benefits

Learn more
All Learning Center articles are general summaries that can be used when considering your financial future at various life stages. The information presented is for educational purposes and is meant to supplement other information specific to your situation. It is not intended as investment advice and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Protective or its subsidiaries.

Learning Center articles may describe services and financial products not offered by Protective or its subsidiaries. Descriptions of financial products contained in Learning Center articles are not intended to represent those offered by Protective or its subsidiaries.

Neither Protective nor its representatives offer legal or tax advice. We encourage you to consult with your financial adviser and legal or tax adviser regarding your individual situations before making investment, social security, retirement planning, and tax-related decisions. For information about Protective and its products and services, visit

Companies and organizations linked from Learning Center articles have no affiliation with Protective or its subsidiaries.